Re: Browser Developers (A Plea From BrowserWatch)

On Fri, 24 Mar 1995 wmperry@spry.com wrote:
>   Shouldn't the User-Agent field follow 'normal' specs for headers and do
> something like:

>             library=WWWLib/3.0.x ; other=Whatever
>
>   This would make it a little easier for people like Dave to parse the
> string, without having to worry about order of the arguments, etc.  Plus
> this would allow whitespace (but not ;) in the specifier.

Yes, I like Bill's proposal and I've suggested platform in the user-agent
field before.  This would, however, completely break current systems
(which tend to look for the text before the first / as user-agent name,
and can survive miscreant whitespace) that currently work with HTTP/1.0
requests.  Can we defer this to 1.1?

M. Hedlund <march@europa.com>