RE: Http overhead

It did was a while ago, when I did some experimenting (personal purpose)
with HTTP. Your server (MSN Search) didn't return a content-length field
or send the data chunked (this is a good while ago)... Also another
server from CNET did the same thing. At least this was about a year ago,
or maybe even a longer time a ago, this wasn't recently....

I don't know how your search servers work, but maybe the server just
forwarded a response from another server. The URL I gave to the server
(using telnet) I had from the search area in IE 4. So maybe actual data
came from someone like Infoseek or Aslavista....
The server however did turn, at that time, "Server: Microsoft-IIS[...]".

At that time I was developing a simple proxy server (for myself), that
ran into trouble with sites not giving a content-length or using chunked
tranfer-encoding. The first trouble I then developed support was chunked
tranfer encoding, what did turn out to work correct. But at this time I
still couldn't download from MSN search of CNET. Possiblity that it was
this error.

Also the proxy didn't support caching (yet) and did turn out to be quite
unreliable, especially with subsequent requests on a connection.

But don't forget I is a long while ago, what I actually should have put
in the previous mail (my fault). Software and systems evolve, and you
probably don't have the same stuff you had a couple years ago...

- Joris