Re: new editorial issue RANGE_WITH_CONTENTCODING

At 15:52 14/11/97 -0800, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>The spec does make it explicit, at least to the extent that general
>discussion of encodings can be explicit.  On-the-fly compression is
>a transfer-coding.  Source-based compression is a content-coding.
>
>The problem is that people keep trying to wedge both into content-coding
>instead of just defining on-the-fly compression with Transfer-Encoding.

I am *assuming* that your reference to 'transfer-encoding' maps to MIME
'content-transfer-encoding'.  If this assumption is false, please ignore
this comment...

The MIME specification STRONGLY discourages (its capitals) the creation of
new content-transfer-encoding values.  I would think that this would
encourage designers to try and shoehorn transfer-encoding semantics into
content-coding headers.

GK.
---

Graham Klyne