RE: making progress on cookies

At 6:50 PM -0700 10/10/97, Yaron Goland wrote:
>An alternative proposal is to take the signed cookie draft and combine
>it with the protocol draft and put that up as the standard. That way we
>don't have to argue over heuristics which prevent legitimate
>functionality and instead use a policy based system backed up with
>authentication.

As I've said before, I don't think this would be a positive step.  If we're
having trouble making progress on the current specification, trying to make
progress on an even more complex one will be that much more difficult.

I agree with Dave Morris's point that not all applications need or want
signed cookies.  I prefer to regard the signed cookies proposal as an
add-on.  I think it can mesh relatively smoothly with the (successor to)
RFC 2109.

Dave Kristol