Re: indefinite server-push (was 'Last-Modified in chunked footer')

On Mon, 15 Sep 1997, Ben Laurie wrote:

> Larry Masinter wrote:
>
> > If we don't disallow such things, a proxy implementation which attempted
> > to buffer complete responses before sending them on would be
> > non-compliant.
>
> A proxy which attempts to buffer complete responses is broken, so it may
> as well be non-compliant.

Even if it doesn't buffer complete responses, but just fixed size chunks,
it will still cause problems.

Apache's proxy is broken with never-ending server push connections.  I
suspect many others are as well.  What is needed is a timeout combined
with a buffer.  OTOH, that could still result in problems with server push
that sends a very small amount of data at frequent enough intervals to
reset the timer before the buffer is flushed.  I can't see any nice way to
do it aside from not buffering at all, and that is ugly.