Re: Basic Authentication behavior

On Sun, 7 Sep 1997, Foteos Macrides wrote:

> 	It is classic libwww behavior to guess a template for a Basic
> realm, and that is current practice for software which has it as a
> heritage.

Upon reflection and re-reading the spec, yet again, I have no problem
with clients guessing authentication credentials based on some
heuristic.  What heuristic is used is entirely an implementation
question and is up to the client implementor.

> If the hiearchy of symbolic elements for the path of the request were
> /sym1/sym2/sym3/foo.blah   and there were no template indicated (and
> it never is, because that header never got into any IETF RFCs :) the
> UA guesses   /sym1/sym2/sym3/*   and depending on subsequent requests
> might eventually infer that   /sym1/sym2/*   is the "correct" template.

I believe that there is common current practice which is different from
this, but I think there is no need to discuss the algorithm the client
uses to pick the template as that is an implementation decision.

A sentence in the spec to the effect that "credential guessing"
is common current practice might be useful.  It might affect how
suspicious one should be of failed authentication attempts.

		john@math.nwu.edu