Re: RE-VERSION

On Mon, 11 Aug 1997, John Franks wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Aug 1997, Josh wrote:
> >
> > My point here is that it essentially makes this server version
> > advertisement useless, therefore, philosophically, I beleive
> > the response version should be the entity-version.
> >

> Instead of debating which is more useful, might it not be sensible to
> consider sending BOTH in a clearly labelled fashion.

I would like to see a definition of what is meant by "entity version".
So far it's a very diffuse term to me.

Can it be defined in an exact way?  Other than as a simple
mathematical function like MIN(version-in-request,version-in-response)
which every client/proxy/server can trivially compute?  If yes, for what
is it useful?  How can its knowledge improve the function of a client or
proxy?  Is it a hop-by-hop or an end-to-end property?

Also it seems the term "entity version" is very misleading, because
(whatever exactly it is) it appears to comprise more things than "entity"
in the sense of the HTTP spec.

        Klaus