Re: Removing CommentURL

On Mon, 28 Jul 1997, Maurizio Codogno wrote:

> As I see things, a reasonable solution for Comment-URL could be
> that servers MUST NOT send any cookie for URLS referenced in Comment-URL,

It makes no sense to place any requirement on the server since it has no
way of knowing the usage context for a particular URL request AND all
issues can be easily handled by the client.

> and that clients SHOULD discard them if received.
>
> UA, then, MAY let users accept any cookie which come with a Comment-URL
> already "accepted" (and from the same domain, blah blah...). It cannot be
> neither a MUST nor a SHOULD, of course, but it makes sense that if
> you trust a cookie from a site because you agreed with the policy, it is
> useless to show it over and over again.

I agree, but useless is a UI usability issue, not a protocol issue.
Take a look at the exact wording in Dave's latest pre-draft.

> .mau.
>
> ps : why is this discussions taking place in http-wg , rather than in
> http-state?

Because we are now about to have LAST-CALL and the whole WG must be
involved.