RE: New PEP draft available as ID!

I was just sitting down to read through the 23 or so pages of the PEP
draft when I asked myself "Why?" My original interest in PEP was caused
by my work in DAV where I needed to extend HTTP in all sorts of
interesting ways without breaking anything. In the end however, I
discovered the whole effort was largely for not because PEP only works
if everyone supports it and currently, no one supports it. This would be
the famous chicken and egg problem.

However I did spend some time thinking about what the world would look
like if PEP did exist and the answer is "expensive". Having to send
along a bag with all those options, not to mention writing all the
supporting code, just seems like maximum overkill. The solution we are
using in DAV is to have clients look up a particular attribute to see if
a set of features are supported. Once you have attributes, PEP becomes
largely irrelevant.

I realize that PEP is a lot more powerful than a simple "check the
switch" solution but in all the real world scenarios I am looking at,
such as deploying DAV, I don't seem to need anything more than the
attribute. Has someone else had a different experience?

	Thanks,
		Yaron