Re: Section 10.1.1 Combining Set-Cookie and Set-Cookie2

On Wed, 26 Mar 1997, Dave Kristol wrote:

> Foteos Macrides wrote:
> >         Another possibility if for Version 1 capable UAs to indicate
> > this in a request header, perhaps only when not sending a Cookie header
> > with Version 1 attributes, which itself indicates this capability.
>
> The down-sides of that approach are:
> 1) A UA would always send extra header information to indicate cookie
> capabilities, even to servers that don't use cookies.
> 2) An application would have to look for such a header *or* for V1 cookies to
> decide what kind of cookies to send.

I don't see why it couldn't be:

    Cookie: $version=1

So there would only be 1 header to examine. But I don't think this is
necessary. As I said before, I think this is needless complexity for a
transition plan to save an arguably large/small amount of network traffic.

The server (read application author) burden in terms of the potential for
some client not correctly merging the two headers is quite high.

Dave Morris