RE: Issues with the cookie draft

The domain restriction is not a protection of privacy, it is a
prohibition against the right of companies to structure their Internet
use as they see fit. The free market will do a better job of protecting
user's rights then a domain name restriction. If someone is abusing
cookies, let the press scream it out. If we can implement technical
protections to prevent the abuse of cookies, then let us do so. But the
domain restriction provides no real protection against the abuse of
cookies while preventing the legitimate behavior of companies.

For example, a company which has a different second tier website for
each of its products is now prevented from sharing cookies between those
sites. There is absolutely no reason to prevent this behavior. You are
trying to establish a relationship between domain names and
organizational responsibility. However the domain name system was not
set up to provide this connection, therefore relying upon it is
unreasonable. The domain solution provides no protection against the
unauthorized sharing of data, it only makes it slightly inconvenient,
but it does prevent legitimate activity. I would argue that the cure is
worse than the disease and the domain restriction should be removed. I
am not arguing that the domain attribute should be removed, only the
restriction on what cookie servers may put in it.

Furthermore, putting in place a solution we know will break, in the case
of coming use of top level domains, is yet another reason to remove this
section of spec.

If this faulty behavior can not be remedied then the spec should not be
allowed to move on in the standards process.

		Yaron