Re: Some data related to the frequency of cache-busting

On Fri, 29 Nov 1996, Larry Masinter wrote:

> # Not to beat a dead horse or anything, but the reason people use these
> # techniques is because they are the only way to guarantee some degree
> # of control over the user experience.
>
> Don't cookies do the right thing?

Cookies don't keep browsers from intertwining history with the local
cache.

> # To really beat a _thoroughly_ dead horse, this is the case because
> # caches and history mechanisms are improperly conflated in most
> # browsers.
>
> Didn't we 'fix' this with HTTP/1.1?

Other than carefully defining the difference between a History mechanism
and Caching, we did NOTHING! A protocol mechanism is needed so that
the server (applications) can influence browser history presentation.
The caching subgroup explicitly chose to defer this issue.

Dave Morris