Re: Apache and cookies

Koen Holtman wrote:

>I recently started using the `show an alert before accepting a cookie'
>option in NetScape 3.0, and found that many Apache servers on the net
>wanted to send me a cookie.  I asked a local Apache (1.0.3) server
>operator why his server was trying to tag a cookie on me (which is
>considered extremely rude by Dutch standards).  He was not aware that
>it did; he did not even know what a cookie was.
>
>Question: Does Apache send cookies in its default configuration?

No, but it's long been known that people have mistakenly included
the mod_cookies *optional* module thinking that it enables cookie support
in Apache. It doesn't (you don't need a module to do it). What this
module does is enable a site to log a user's click path through a site.

People haven't bothered to check what the modules actually do, they
make assumptions based on the names.

The module has been renamed for the next release.

--
Rob Hartill (robh@imdb.com)
http://www.imdb.com/  ... why wait for a clear night to see the stars?.