Re: Problem with authentication challenge BNF and Digest

> As far as I know this has not been mentioned on the list...

Ummm, yes it has.  Waay back in August or September.
I'll see if I can find it in the archives later.
In any case, we made a clear decision on the WG mailing list that
the difficulty (not impossiblility) of parsing this was less important
than not breaking current practice.

> all (however, it does include them in the examples in Section 2.4). Hence
> the two versions are in conflict and digest is in internal conflict. Another
> problem is that the challenge BNF requires a single space between the
> auth-scheme and the realm and digest doesn't.
>
> We can do two things:
>
> 1) Use the Digest draft version and remove the comma intirely. This will
> require
>    changes to the HTTP/1.1 draft

Nope -- fix the Digest draft instead (if it can be fixed).

 ...Roy T. Fielding
    University of California, Irvine, CA 92717-3425    fax:+1(714)824-4056
    http://www.ics.uci.edu/~fielding/