Re: Age header (14.6)

Roy and Jeff in private mail were concerned about the definition
of Age in the document.  Here's their concensus, and the
resulting Age definition for the next draft.
				- Jim

>To: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@liege.ics.uci.edu>
>Cc: jg@w3.org
>Subject: Re: Age header (14.6)
>Date: Thu, 06 Jun 96 18:56:50 MDT
>From: Jeffrey Mogul <mogul@pa.dec.com>
>
>    >     A cached response is "fresh" if its age does not exceed its
>    >     freshness lifetime.  Age values are calculated as specified
>    >     in section 13.2.3.  The Age response-header field conveys
>    >     sender's estimate of the amount of time since the response
>    >     (or its revalidation) was generated at the origin server.
>    >
>    > How's that?
>
>    Good, but for consistency's sake I would prefer
>
>	  The Age response-header field conveys the sender's estimate
>	  of the amount of time since the response (or its revalidation)
>	  was generated at the origin server.  A cached response is
>	  "fresh" if its age does not exceed its freshness lifetime.
>	  Age values are calculated as specified in section 13.2.3.
>
>Fine with me (looks like you just moved the last sentence of my
>paragraph).
>
>-Jeff

14.6 Age

The Age response-header field conveys the sender's estimate of the
amount of time since the response (or its revalidation) was generated
at the origin server. A cached response is "fresh" if its age does not
exceed its freshness lifetime. Age values are calculated as specified
in section 13.2.3.

        Age = "Age" ":" age-value
        age-value = delta-seconds

Age values are non-negative decimal integers, representing time in
seconds.

If a cache receives a value larger than the largest positive integer
it can represent, or if any of its age calculations overflows, it MUST
transmit an Age header with a value of 2147483648 (2^31). HTTP/1.1
caches MUST send an Age header in every response. Caches SHOULD use an
arithmetic type of at least 31 bits of range.