RE: Two-phase sends

(I wish I'd seen this before sending my last message on this topic...)

>----------
>From: 	koen@win.tue.nl[SMTP:koen@win.tue.nl]
>Subject: 	Re: Two-phase sends

[ommissions...]

>If this is the case, my problems with two-phase would mostly
>disappear.  If you are right, I misinterpreted (the context of?) the
>following language in the spec:
>
>    If the client knows that the server is an HTTP/1.1 (or later)
>server,
>    because of the server protocol version returned with a previous
>request
>    on the same persistent connection [alternatively:  within the past
><N>
>    hours], it MUST wait for a response.  If the client believes that
>the
>               ^^^^
>    server is a 1.0 or earlier server, it    SHOULD continue
>transmitting
>    its request after waiting at least [5] seconds for a status
>response.

This occurs in the paragraph right after the one saying that clients
have to use two-phase if they get a closed connection with no status. It
is an elaboration on the requirements of two phase mode on clients. It
is followed by more elaboration for clients and servers.

>and I strongly suggest that this part is rewritten to make it more
>clear when this MUST comes into play.

If a section header "8.4.1.1 Two phase mode" were inserted before these
>paragraphs, would that set the context more solidly?

Paul