Re: proxies rewriting URLs

On Tue, 12 Mar 1996, Larry Masinter wrote:

> Personally, I don't think proxies *should* rewrite URLs, and that
> origin servers should decide on logical equivalence and report it.

In general, I'm inclined to agree.  IF the proxy believes the
request to be a protocol violation which would require re-writing,
it should instead reject the request with appropriate diagnostic
insight.

BUT the current specs indicate that:

   http://foo:80/xyz

should become:

   http://foo/xyz

If I understand they wording. I would not that at least one
browser in common use does the opposite.

Dave Morris