Re: Non Latin1 charsets (draft-holtman-http-negotiation-00.txt)

At 02:04 PM 3/1/96 +0100, Mirsad Todorovac wrote:
> Alternates: {"TheProject.fr.html" 1.0
>       {type "text/html"} {language "fr"}},
>     {"TheProject.en.html" 1.0
>       {type "text/html"} {language "en"}},
>     {"TheProject.ru.html" 1.0
>       {type "text/html;charset=iso-8859-5"} {language "ru"}}
>     ("/cgi-bin/xlate?koi8-r+TheProject.ru.html" 1.0
>       {type "text/html;charset=koi8-r"} language "ru"}}

Charsets are not to appear in mime type tags in URI/Alternates headers.
They ave their own slot.  The above examples would be:
> Alternates: {"TheProject.fr.html" 1.0
>       {type "text/html"} {language "fr"}},
>     {"TheProject.en.html" 1.0
>       {type "text/html"} {language "en"}},
>     {"TheProject.ru.html" 1.0
>       {type "text/html"} {charset "iso-8859-5"} {language "ru"}}

This variant below would be invalid by the anti-spoofing content negotiaion
clause because they don't have matching prefixes.  Soemthing more valid
would be:
>     ("TheProject.ru2.html" 1.0
>       {type "text/html" {charset "koi8-r"} {language "ru"} }

>> There is NO quality factor for Accept-Charset in current draft.

>So, IMVHO there should be a way to specify prefered language/encoding, with
>quality factors (which fit into current scheme for Accept: header), or by
>means of some other method.
>Eg. I want document in my native language/encoding,
>if there isn't one, I'd be happy with native language/us-ascii,

There is a mechanism for specifying qualities on language, just not on
charset.  so you could ask for "Accept-Language: native-language; ql=1.0,
en; ql=.7" and "Accept-Charset: native-charset" (which implicitly includes
iso-8859-1).

If that is not sufficient, we now that we have Koen's method for reactive
negotiation, by which you will be able to precisely pick which varaint you
want, which might be useful if you recieve the the language you wanted, but
not the charset you wanted. (You recieve TheProject.ru.html, but you realize
there was also a TheProject.ru2.html, so you ask for it by name.)
-----
Dan DuBois, Software Animal           http://www.spyglass.com/~ddubois/
    Download a totally free copy of the Spyglass Web Server today!
        http://www.spyglass.com/products/server_download.html