Re: Number of connections (was: Re: HTTP Working Group 'issues' list)

On Wed, 14 Feb 1996, Jeffrey Mogul wrote:

>     From: hardie@merlot.arc.nasa.gov (Ted Hardie)
>
>     I notice in the issues list that the persistent connection subgroup
>     agreed that the presence of persistent connections would not be
>     used to limit connections to a specific small number.  If there is
>     more information on that decision, I would like to see it, even in
>     a rough form.
>
> We basically agreed that (1) there would be no way to enforce
> a limit on the number of connections, and (2) there was clear
> evidence that the optimal number is greater than 1.  However,

The optimal number of connections is bounded above by one for just about
every case I can think of. Further, I don't agree that there is no way to
restrict the number of connections available to a given host; there are
lots of ways ranging from the TCP stack to the application layer. What I
think you argued was that it was undesirable to do this in case the host
in question was a big proxy.

 Simon

---
They say in  online country		So which side are you on boys
There is no middle way			Which side are you on
You'll either be a Usenet man		Which side are you on boys
Or a thug for the CDA			Which side are you on?
  National Union of Computer Operatives; Hackers, local 37   APL-CPIO