Re: domain-name?

Chris Schefler wrote:

> Currently, the client does not seem pass the entire URL to the
> server.  Although a strict reading of the spec seems to indicate
> that the full URL (http://domain.name/path/to/file.html) is legal,
> in practice only everything after the domain name is passed in
> the GET request.
>
> Questions:  Is there anything in the 1.1 spec for passing the full
> URL, or, alternatively, passing the domain name as a header?
> Or am I correct in my reading of the spec that passing the full
> URL, including domain name, is legal in 1.0? (e.g., GET
> http://www.domain.com/dir/welcome.html HTTP/1.0)?

There is an ORIG-URI header that can contain the fully specified
URL.  I find this header to be very wasteful though.  I would
prefer to see an ORIG-HOST header that would only specify the
hostname so that it isn't necessary to transmit the path
part of a URL twice.

:lou
--
Lou Montulli                 http://www.mcom.com/people/montulli/