Re: planned obsolescence

Dave Kristol wrote:
[...]
> Section 3.1 of v10-spec-01 describes the rules for dealing with major
> releases, and which old ones must be supported.  I would like to add a
> statement that also sets a time limit for supporting antique versions.
> For example, the HTTP/1.1 specification might say that after January 1,
> 1997, conforming WWW software need not support HTTP/0.9 transactions.

[...]
Not supporting HTTP/0.9 would be a mistake.  It's a very useful
protocol but not every servers needs.  Server can advertise the
version they support.  0.9 may be "antique" but about half the
transactions hitting my server are for 0.9.  For our server
I don't expect HTTP/1.2 to be as useful as HTTP/1.0 based on
the recommendations being made.

bob jernigan

Maybe HTTP/1.2 = HSBP/1.0 (HyperShoppers Basket Protocol)