Re: What can you cache? [was: Byte ranges -- formal spec proposal ]

On Thu, 18 May 1995, Ari Luotonen wrote:

> I beieve Dan Connolly wrote (attribution was deleted):

> > Bzzzt. GET requests are specified to be idempotent. No visible
> > side-effects allowed.
>
> *sigh*... We both know this, but we both know that in practice it's
> not true.  The Web is full of such CGI programs.

Worse then that, there are (or were recently) browsers which ignored
the action=post on a form and presented it as GET to the cgi program.
(I presume that you would accept that POST may have required sideeffects
as well?)

Dave Morris