Re: I-D ACTION:draft-palme-e-mail-translation-03.txt

At 17.15 -0500 02-01-15, Keith Moore wrote:
>how present mail UAs handle this is irrelevant, because they
>don't handle any other scheme for language selection either.
>
>the only question for IETF is - what's the best way to do this
>in MIME protocol?  and nobody has come up with a better alternative
>(so to speak) than multipart/alternative.

When the MIME standard was introduced, the handling by
present mail was central in the design of mail. For example,
the QUOTED-PRINTABLE format was chosen, because messages
encoded in this format would be at least partly readable
for recipients with old mailers.

Why should not a graceful downgrading to existing mailers
be important for language translation in e-mail, when
it was so very important in the design of MIME itself?
--
Jacob Palme <jpalme@dsv.su.se> (Stockholm University and KTH)
for more info see URL: http://www.dsv.su.se/jpalme/