RE: Two new drafts: Multipart/Interleaved and Application/BatchBe ep

Keith,

Thanks for the feedback.

I agree that existing MIME readers would treat a multipart/interleaved
entity as a multipart/mixed entity and would see all of the
application/chunk body parts are opaque data. I also agree that only updated
MIME readers could deal with multipart/interleaved and application/chunk. So
perhaps, there is no advantage in adding another multipart subtype. That's
the sort of feedback I'm looking for.

Your application/multiplexed suggestion sounds very close the
application/batchbeep that I describe in the other draft I submitted
(http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-herriot-application-batchbeep-00.
txt).

As I see it, the issue is whether the solution should extend multipart or
whether it should be completely new. I think you are saying that it should
be completely new but easily transformable into multipart/related.  The
examples in the application/batchbeep draft show that the conversion between
application/batchbeep and multipart/related is simple. The
application/batchbeep representation also has the advantage that each chunk
has a length field rather than a boundary string to determine the end of the
chunk. Some people I've talked to want the efficiency of a length field
rather than a boundary string to search for.

What do you think of the application/batchbeep proposal?

Bob Herriot