Re: Mobile Multimedia Messaging Service

Howdy,

"James P. Salsman" wrote:
> Proposed special document status and process for MMMS specifications:
> Recognizing that it may be impossible to achieve consensus on topics
> in which large and diverse corporate concerns have vested interests
> opposed to open standards, the MMMS working group will have a special
> goal to produce Internet-Drafts which will identified as "Frozen MMMS
> RFC-track Internet-Drafts."  These documents might never become RFCs

I think this is a Bad Idea -- particularly in conjunction with:

> frozen documents.  Developers may rely on such documents as static
> and vendors and customers will be encouraged to refer to them in their
> procurement process.

These documents would become de facto standards (although they won't
have had the standards-review) and they would break the paradigm
of Internet-Drafts (which is "don't implement").

If you want to get public documentation on how things are done,
it would be more suitable I think to go with traditional Informational
RFCs -- and you can label them as "Informal understanding of how to
do X", if you like.

Leslie.

"Reality with a delicate splash of the imaginary...
    ... or was that the other way around?"
   -- ThinkingCat

Leslie Daigle
leslie@thinkingcat.com