Re: 3GPP-T-WG3 codecs

At 12.56 +0100 00-12-08, Henning Timcke wrote:
>Hi
>Choosing MPEG 4 among a  minimum set of supported formats really sounds
>like joke to me.
>Who should be a able to take advantage of this minimal set as of today ?
>
>>  Suggested formats or codecs for media type Video:
>>  - MPEG 4 (Visual Simple Profile, Level 1)
>>  - ITU-T H.263
>>  - Quicktime
>
>This would look more realistic to me:
>
>>  Suggested formats or codecs for media type Video:
>>  - MPX (MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG 4)
>>  - AVI
>>  - Sure Stream (TM) RS G2
>>  - Windows Media (TM)
>>  - ITU-T H.263
>>  - MOV Quicktime (TM)

I think it is important to be much much more detailed when specifying
a list like this.

I am not working in this area much personally, but I feel we have
three layers of "things" that needs to be standardized for a sender
to be able to send data to a receiver:

   (a) Codec
   (b) Format
   (c) Transport Protocol

All three layers have to match for things to work. Several client
(and server) software can handle many different permutations of the
alternatives for each layer in this micro-stack.

Is it not something like this which have to be specified?

      paf