Re: Extensibility methods in APPCORE protocol

From: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 10:57:28 -0500
To: Jacob Palme <jpalme@dsv.su.se>
cc: IETF Applications Area Discussion List <discuss@apps.ietf.org>
> Should APPLCORE be restricted to only contain things which *all*
> protocols need?

IMO, the feedback from the BOF showed that we are not going to be
designing a "core" protocol anytime soon.  Instead, we are going to
be documenting useful protocol features.  Since that's what we're
doing, there's no reason why we cannot document any feature that is
thought to be useful.

Also, it's far easier for a group to agree on pros and cons of certain
protocol features, than it is for a group to decide what should or
should not go "in" a core protocol.  The latter seems like an invitation
to political disaster.

Keith