From: Jeff Thompson [mailto:Jeff_Thompson@CoCreate.com]
Sent: Friday, March 21, 2003 6:00 PM
To: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org
Subject: Checkout-In-Place

Hi all,

I've just been studying the proposed standard for DAV versioning and
just joined the email list. There is something in the spec that's
confusing me. After poring through the spec several times, I've about
decided it's an editing problem. Especially after I searched the email
list archives and found another message that seems to be related.

Section 4 of the spec refers to the "Checkout-in-place Feature".
However, this feature is rather disconnected from the rest of the
document. Section 2.1 talks of three separate basic versioning packages.
Checkout-in-place is not listed as belonging to any of these. While it's
in the set of sections about basic versioning (2-9), the first mention
of it occurs in the Section 4 heading.

However, the Basic-Server-Workspace Package (Section 2.1) includes a
feature "checkout", which doesn't seem to be described anywhere in the spec.

Searching the email list archive, I discovered message
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-dav-versioning/2001JulSep/0111.html

.  This seems to suggest that the confusion may be due to an incomplete
search and replace. Apparently, "checkout_in_place" was formerly called
"checkout" and the reference in Section 2.1 may simply be on that wasn't
corrected.

However, that same email message serves to further muddy the waters. It
mentions the "checkout" method. That's probably not what Section 2.1
refers to, but the names do match.

Jeff Thompson