Re: Binding an DAV:workspace property

Peter wrote on 06/20/2003 11:03:54 AM:

> I followed the thread "workspace property" in this list ... but there
are
> still open questions.
>
> Geoff wrote:
> "No, the DAV:workspace is not affected by the request-URL that you use
> identify the URL (that would be bad for a variety of reasons). The only
way
> you can have two different URLs for the same resource is
> if you have two bindings to either the resource or to a parent of the
> resource.  In this case, some resource has multiple parents, and which
> parent is picked for inheritance of the DAV:workspace property is up to
the
> server (but it has to pick one, and return it consistently).".
>
> What does "consistently" exactly means? That the value shouldn't change
if
> the resource is accessed by an alternate URI?

Yes.

> So, let's have the following: 2 workspaces W1 accessed by /ws1 and W2
> accessed by /ws2 and a resource R in W1 accessed by /w1/r. Now, I do
some
> operations and check the value of DAV:workspace of R:
>
> - PROPFIND /ws1/r (workspace)   ==> worspace=/ws1
> - BIND /ws2 (r -> /ws1/r)
> - PROPFIND /ws2/r (workspace)   ==> worspace=/ws1 [it's in both but show
W1
> for consistency]

Yes.

> - UNBIND /ws1 (r)
> - PROPFIND /ws2/r (workspace)   ==> worspace=/ws2 [it's not anymore in
W1]

Yes.

> - BIND /ws1 (r -> /ws2/r)
> - PROPFIND /ws1/r (workspace)   ==> worspace=/ws1 [it's in both but show
W2
> for consistency]

That's up to the server.  Once it has two parents, the server can pick
which
one is its workspace.  A side effect of the BIND could be to reset the
workspace
property back to be W1.

> Apparently, in view of Binding, DAV:worspace becomes a computed
property?

It is a property that can be modified as a side-effect of a request (e.g.
BIND or UNBIND), but I'm not sure I'd call it a "computed" property.