Re: Distributing versions across servers

There are two several questions here.

One is: Can the server store different versions on different servers?
The answer to this is: yes.
A server can do whatever it wants in this regard.

Another is: Does the protocol provide a way for a client to force the
server to put a version on a particular server?
The answer to this is: no.
Different server implementations will have very different policies and
capabilities wrt where and how versions are stored, and any attempt by a
client to "control" this will inevitably result in poor interoperability.

Another is: Can a client hint at what server it would want a new version
to be stored on?
The answer to this is: yes.
In particular, a client explicitly creates a version-controlled resource
at a particular location.  A client can create (or at least try to create
... depends on what the server supports) different version-controlled
resources for a given version history on different servers.  When a user
checks in a given version-controlled resource (or checks in a working
resource checked-out from a given version-controlled resource), a server
can take this as a hint that it would be reasonable to store the new
version on the same server that stores that version-controlled resource.

ietf-dav-versioning-request@w3.org wrote on 05/30/2003 09:18:02 AM:

> As far as I understood it, a VR is created automatically upon checkin.
And
> by Section 3.15 of the spec, I cannot move the VR by a move method.  So
how
> can it be possible then to store a VR of a VH on a different (WebDAV)
> server?
>
> Regards, Martin

Clemm