AW: how to specify extension features in response to OPTIONS requ est

   -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
   Von: Julian Reschke [mailto:julian.reschke@greenbytes.de]
   Gesendet: Dienstag, 19. März 2002 11:32
   An: Sohn, Matthias; Ietf-Dav-Versioning@W3. Org
   Betreff: RE: how to specify extension features in response to OPTIONS
   requ est

   response to OPTIONS
   >    > request
   >    >
   >    > Hi,
   >    >
   >    > is it possible to specify extension features (that are not
   >    defined in the
   >    > DeltaV spec) in the response to a OPTIONS request ?
   >
   >    It's possible, but I would strongly recommend not to do that.
   >
   > Why ?
   >
   >    If you need a non-intrusive way to signal server extensions,
   >    use a custom
   >    live property.

   Because OPTIONS headers don't have a concept of namespaces
   -- it's just a
   flat namespace. WebDAV properties are identified by
   (namespace, name), so by
   definition there won't be any confusion. Finally, the
   PROPFIND semantics
   defined in RFC3253 allow you not to report your extension
   property unless
   somebody (your client) is specifically asking for it.

Do you think it would be ok to use OPTIONS in the following way to
signal server extensions ? In this approach XML namespaces would be
used to prevent name clashes :

>>REQUEST

OPTIONS /doc HTTP/1.1
  Host: www.webdav.org

  <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
  <D:options xmlns:D="DAV:"
xmlns:x="http:/www.sap.com/xyz/DAVExtensionSchema.xsd">
    <x:extension-feature-set/>
  </D:options>

>>RESPONSE

  HTTP/1.1 200 OK
  DAV: 1, version-control, checkout-in-place, version-history, workspace

  <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
  <D:options-response xmlns:D="DAV:">
    <x:extension-feature-set>
      <x:my-special-feature-1/>