RE: No-checkout MERGE and version-controlled configurations

I would not call the auto-versioned VCCn a merge target,
therefore I would not consider this auto-checkout as a
violation of the DAV:checkout-not-allowed precondition.

From: Roy Seto [mailto:Roy.Seto@oracle.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 6:20 PM
To: Ietf-Dav-Versioning@W3. Org
Subject: No-checkout MERGE and version-controlled configurations

Consider a MERGE request whose request-URL has baseline-
controlled members, and which includes a DAV:no-checkout
element in the request body. Also, the DAV:auto-version
property value for the baseline-controlled members'
version-controlled configuration is DAV:checkout.

Suppose the MERGE would cause an UPDATE to be applied to
some of the members of the request-URL by MERGE
postcondition DAV:descendant-version. Baseline
autoversioning would cause the corresponding version-
controlled configuration to be checked out by the first
such UPDATE. Would this CHECKOUT attempt cause the MERGE
request to fail due to the DAV:no-checkout request-body
element?

I'd like clarification because I'm not sure whether the
version-controlled configuration qualifies as a "merge
target" in this situation. From the 11.2 preconditions:

       (DAV:checkout-not-allowed): If DAV:no-checkout
       is specified in the request body, it MUST be
       possible to perform the merge without checking
       out any of the merge targets.

Thanks,
Roy