RE: Allow: header and supported methods

No, you could do something like FTP does and have an HTTP
method that tells the server a port to connect to in order
to deliver invalidation responses, something like:

REG_NOTIFY /foo.txt HTTP/1.1
Host: www.oracle.com

<respond-to>
  <href>http://192.251.211.44:4234/notify</href>
</respond-to>

and the server would then post a list of HREFs to invalidate
to that address.

You just require that the client also be able to function
as a server.

The disadvantage of this approach is that is that it will
have problems with many firewalls.  The advantage is that
the server doesn't have to keep open a socket to the client
just in case an invalidation would have to be done.  The
server could end up with a very large number of sockets in
this case.

--Eric