Re: Allow: header and supported methods

Please excuse a newbie question:

Surely for a server looking after versioned resources, asking it
"What If?" questions based on its current state is a bit useless?

I mean, if I have a checked-out resource, and I don't have an
exclusive write-lock on the resource, then requests to the server
such as "If I try and commit, will I be able to?" can only
be usefully answered by the server with: "I don't know, unless
you try."

Is there a more subtle issue I'm missing?

Ben