RE: Auto update of VCR when checking an associated working resource

"Lisa Dusseault" <lisa@xythos.com> wrote:

> So are we back to saying that supporting Working Resource
> feature requires also supporting UPDATE?  That's what I'm
> trying to avoid.  Is there a better way for these two
> features to not depend on each other?

No I'm not saying that.  I have an application in mind that creates
versions and doesn't update any version-controlled resource.  It always
references the versions by their version URL.  In this case there is no
need for DAV:auto-update or an UPDATE method, so I would object to making
them required.

> Furthermore, it's surprising to me, and perhaps to clients
> as well, that working resource checkins and in-place
> checkins work so differently: one ends up with the VCR
> pointing to the latest version at the end, and the other
> doesn't (by default).  I would expect the default behaviour
> of both of these to be the same.

In the case of a working resource created directly from a version, there is
no version-controlled resource to update on CHECKIN.  So it doesn't seem
too surpising to me, but whatever.

> Perhaps Jim's proposal could instead be worded so that
> auto-update was the default, and "do not update" is the
> exceptional behaviour that the client must request.

That would require setting the DAV:auto-update value, or passing in the URL
of the version-controlled resource during CHECKIN.  I prefer to leave the
proposal as is.

Regards,
Tim