Labelling support optional

Your assumption here is that there ARE associated files in a repository of
versions.  Why need there be?  There are repositories of documents -- like
mine at http://www.sharemation.com/~milele/public -- which have versions but
aren't associated with each other.

Are you implementing a revision control system for source code?  That could
be the disconnect between us.  When repositories are not intended for source
control, but just for ordinary documents, they require far fewer features.
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-dav-versioning/2000OctDec/0062.html

If LABEL was a simple property, I wouldn't care, but since it's a complex
property plus a new method to modify the set of labels, I'd rather it be
optional.

Let me put it this way.  What would you like to accomplish that can't be
accomplished if labeling is in the optional part of the protocol?

Lisa