RE: Working collections

> From: Geoffrey M. Clemm [mailto:geoffrey.clemm@rational.com]

> One way to think about this is that I'm suggesting that checking
> out a collection version should create a workspace (i.e. a tree
> of version selectors), or in other words, that a working collection
> is a workspace.

Something I blithely glossed over with this proposal was the fact
that a version selector needs a target, and checking out a collection
version gives you the target for a version selector for that collection,
but does *not* give you targets for version selectors for members of
that collection.  This would have to be done by the client, with
either a SET-TARGET (e.g. with a Depth header and a label)
or a MERGE (e.g. with a baseline).  So the sequence would be:

- create a new workspace by checking out a collection version
- set the targets of the version selectors in that workspace
  with either a SET-TARGET or MERGE request
- do whatever CHECKOUT's, PUT's, DELETE's, CHECKIN's etc. you
  want to version selectors in that workspace.
- DELETE the workspace when you are done (or leave it around if
  you think you might be doing more work in that collection later.

This does require two extra requests (the SET-TARGET or MERGE to
get started and the DELETE when you are done), but that does not
seem like an unreasonable amount of overhead.