Re: labels and case sensitivity

I think the comments on locale-independent case folding and the accompanying CaseFolding.txt file are what you are looking for?

I think this is still in the realm of implementation, and as such is beyond the scope of mandatory requirements by this draft. Given the desire for terseness, even suggesting this might be too much :-).

Cheers,
RossW
=====

From http://www.unicode.org/unicode/reports/tr21/

2.3 Caseless Matching

Caseless matching is commonly implemented using case-folding. The latter is the process of mapping strings to a normalized form where case differences are erased. Case-folding allows for fast caseless matches in lookups. Caseless matching itself is only an approximation to the language-specific rules governing the strength of comparisons. Where locale-sensitive case matching is used, this information can be derived from the collation data for the language, where only the first and second level differences are used. For more information, see UTR #10: Unicode Collation Algorithm.

However, in most environments, such as in file systems, text is not tagged with locale information. In such cases, the locale-specific mappings should not be used. Otherwise data structures, such as B-trees, might be built based on one set of case foldings, and used based on a different set, which will cause the B-trees to become corrupt. For those environments, a constant, locale-independent case folding should be used.

The CaseFolding.txt file can be used for doing such a locale-independent case folding. This file was generated from the Unicode Character Database, using both the one-to-one mappings and the one-to-many mappings. It folds all characters having different case forms together into a common form. To compare two strings for caseless matching, you can fold each string using this data, and then use a binary comparison.

Generally, where case distinctions are not important, other distinctions between Unicode characters (in particular, compatibility distinctions) are ignored as well. In such circumstances, text can be normalized to Normalization Form KC or KD after case-folding, to produce a normalized form that erases both compatibility distinctions and case distinctions. (See UTR #15: Unicode Normalization Forms for more information.)