Re: Proposal for Addition of New Alias Names to ExistingIanaRegisteredCharacter Sets - REPOSTING REQUEST

At 12:23 04/01/29 -0500, Uma Umamaheswaran wrote:

>Martin:
>

>http://www.sun.com/developers/gadc/technicalpublications/whitepapers/solunic
>
>    osuppt.pdf?redirect=false
>
>    I didn't find this. I got redirected to
>    http://developers.sun.com/techtopics/global/. Can you provide
>    a better reference?
>
>Sorry I should have double checked before reposting .. that site seems to
>have expanded and the document is now at:
>
>http://developers.sun.com/dev/gadc/technicalpublications/whitepapers/soluni
>cosuppt.pdf

Thanks.

>You will also note that Annex A.1 has different possible namings for the
>ISO 8859 series as well.  The Unix world and (the then Open Software
>Foundation) had the codeset names already published before the IANA names /
>aliases were published.

That could be an argument to consider (and that you have not yet made).
Any pointers? The document above is dated May 2000.

>What you will see there is that legacy -- I am
>sure you will see these in the Linux world as well.
>
>We are not asking for these aliases -- though someone could raise the issue
>in the future.

I'm very glad you are not (except, in my understanding,
for aliases of us-ascii and iso-8859-1, which I think
is a serious problem).

>I understand there was a separate thread of discussions on
>igonoring dashes, spaces etc. in Labels from IANA registry (including the
>labels) ... however, the exact matching requirements of XML seems to
>override any such flexibility (except the case-ignore).

It's not only XML that does exact case-insensitive matching.
Other formats and protocols have the same requirements.

>I will be getting back on the other questions posted ...   Best regards,
>Uma

Looking forward to it.

Regards,   Martin.