Re: Proposal for Addition of New Alias Names to Existing Iana Registered Character Sets - REPOSTING REQUEST

[[ With my charset reviewer hat on ]]

At 4:58 PM -0500 1/16/04, Uma Umamaheswaran wrote:
>The following is a RE-POSTING of a previous request to ietf-charsets.org --
>that got nowhere in its disposition.

It *did* get somewhere: it got heavily discussed. The gist of the
discussion was that the request was both unnecessary and possibly
harmful to the established base of software because that base would
need to be updated with the new aliases.

>   I am re-submitting this to the list.
>The original was posted on 29 July 2002.

Can you summarize what the difference in the situation is between now
and 17 months ago? Are there more or fewer implementations that
require a hyphen in order to work? If there are more, what caused
them to require the hyphen in the name?

>Please advise how to proceed with this request.

Starting this discussion is the right way to proceed, but bringing us
up to date on what has changed would be even better.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium