Re: Proposal for additional Aliases to IANA registry of character sets

Chris Newman wrote:

> However, I do object to the following two aliases:
>> ISO_8859-1:1987   IBM819                  IBM-819
>> ANSI_X3.4-1968    IBM367                  IBM-367

Well, fact is that
a) There are already a number of aliases for these charsets
    that implementations have to deal with.
b) There is a large installed base of software for (and of) IBM
    operating systems and middleware that use the numeric IDs
    819 and 367 and tend to prepend "IBM-" to all IDs
    for interoperation with open-standards systems.

Although these charsets are among the most important and most widely used, it seems artificial to limit the use of aliases only for these two.

markus