Re: Proposal for insensitive registration

--On mandag, juli 29, 2002 08:12:31 -0700 Mark Davis <mark@macchiato.com>
wrote:

> So it doesn't sound like there are any objections to any of the
> proposals (except that the file format is apparently different). I'd
> like to see whatever changes can go in, go in fairly soon.
>
> Harold, you said that the file format is different. The description I
> have below is what I reverse engineered from the file (except for the
> @xxx recommendations). Could you point out where it doesn't match the
> file?

the current how-to-register RFC is RFC 2978.
most of the stuff on file is based on RFC 2278 or the whole MIME series
back to RFC 1341 appendix F, and the enormous blob of "charset" information
that is RFC 1345.

if we had infinite resource and time, it would be nice to have all the
charset registration info upgraded to give all information required by RFC
2978. But so far, we haven't done that.

                        Harald