Reason for 'csXXX' alias

Hi,

The reason for the (required for charset registration) Alias
'csXXX', is stated in section 2.3 'Naming Requirements' of
RFC 2978 "IANA Charset Registration Procedures".

The 'csXXX' alias is used as the ASN.1 tag for the charset
enumeration in the CodedCharSet textual convention in the
Printer MIB v1 (RFC 1759).

As part of the publication of Printer MIB v2, I have written
a C language utility to convert the plaintext IANA Charset
Registry (http://www.iana.org/assignments/character-sets)
into a new IANA Charset MIB module, that will be published
at http://www.iana.org/assignments/ianacharset-mib (similar
to the IANA Interface Type MIB which was extracted from
MIB-II, RFC 1213 some years ago).

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald, co-editor of Printer MIB v2

----------------------------------
Extract from page 4 of RFC 2978:

"All charsets MUST be assigned a name that provides a display string
for the associated "MIBenum" value defined below.  These "MIBenum"
values are defined by and used in the Printer MIB [RFC-1759].  Such
names MUST begin with the letters "cs" and MUST contain no more than
40 characters (including the "cs" prefix) chosen from from the
printable subset of US-ASCII.  Only one name beginning with "cs" may
be assigned to a single charset.  If no name of this form is
explicitly defined IANA will assign an alias consisting of "cs"
prepended to the primary charset name."