Co-authorship of charsets BCP

Ned, I have no doubt whatsoever that Jon would fully approve of this
(relatively minor) update.  I also think he would be touched by the
statement of leaving him as a co-author.

However, I think you should still remove him as a co-author because of the
negative precedent it sets.  Even if one is certain that one's co-authors
would approve of a change to a draft, it should still be obligatory to get
their approval before submitting a draft with them named as co-author.
Unless Jon had approved of the final draft before he passed away and you had
not made any edits since then, I think it would be inappropriate.

I see this as a more basic ethical issue involving any publication or
attribution of authorship, in that an author should either be given the
chance to approve the *final* version or it should be clear that the work,
though based on theirs, is not fully attributable to them.  (However, I by
no means would imply any intentional ethical failing here; just a difference
in opinion on the importance of the precedent set.)

Instead, I would suggest a more detailed than normal homage to Jon in the
Acknowledgements.

		- dan
--
Daniel Kohn <mailto:dan@dankohn.com>
tel:+1-425-602-6222  fax:+1-425-602-6223