Re: Registration of new charsets

At 10:39 1999/12/22 JST, Masataka Ohta wrote:
> Martin;
>
> This is a formal answer from the JCS committee.
>
> First of all, the Internet Draft is intended to be published as
> an Informational, NOT Standard Track, RFC containing opinions
> of JCS, not IETF.
>
> Your comments on the content of the Internet Draft should better
> be sent to Authors or JCS mailing list, not IETF.

Well, I already sent them to you. I have included the two
other authors of the internet-draft. I hope this helps.

I am copying the ietf-charsets list according to Section 4.1
of rfc2278.html.

> > - The draft does not give very many details about the actual encodings.
> >   The draft should be expanded to contain enough details so that
> >   implementers not able to understand Japanese can implement the
> >   encodings.
>
> A requirement for the registration is "publish". There is no requirement
> that the publication must be in English.
>
> However, we are kind enough to prepare an RFC-to-be Internet Draft
> in English.

I apreciate your kindness. There is indeed no requirement, not
even for an informational RFC. However, as you are planning
to publish an informational RFC, I thought it would be a good
idea to give some more details. I personally don't care, because
I can read Japanese, but I think a lot of people would apreciate
it, and it would greatly help the adoption and uniform implementation
of the new standard and the new 'charset's.

This would be in the tradition of RFC 1468 and RFC 1554 and
others.

> > - It may be very helpful for a wide audience to include some other
> >   details about JIS X 0213 in the draft. As I haven't see the final
> >   version of JIS X 0213, I cannot give further details at the moment.
>
> All the information is contained in publicly available draft in the home
> page of JCS referenced in the Internet Draft.

While the first public review page at
http://jcs.aa.tufs.ac.jp/jcs/pubrev/index.html contains a lot
of pointers, on the final public review page
http://jcs.aa.tufs.ac.jp/fdis-an.htm I can only find pointers
to submissions to the ISO registry and to ISO/Unicode.
Can you give me a pointer to the actual draft? And can
you update the pointer in the internet-draft to make
things easier to find?

> You can argue that RFC publication by FTP or WWW is not publication.

I wouldn't dream to do so. W3C only publishes via the WWW,
so I have no problem with a publication on the WWW, as far
as I can find it.

Regards,    Martin.

#-#-#  Martin J. Du"rst, World Wide Web Consortium
#-#-#  mailto:duerst@w3.org   http://www.w3.org