Re: draft-hoffman-utf16-01.txt available

Paul Hoffman / IMC wrote:
> But it's pretty clear that not everyone would follow it because some UTF-16
> editing software does BOMs, other doesn't.

Are there many text editors that do not use the BOM for UTF-16?  I am
just asking.

In this I-D, the BOM is a part of the text body rather than an artifact
for encoding.  If this I-D becomes an RFC, XML is allowed to say that
the BOM is mandatory, in my opinion.  In fact, the BOM is already mandatory
in XML 1.0.  Since XML is pervasive, the BOM is likely to become almost
compulsory.

Cheers,

Makoto

Fuji Xerox Information Systems

Tel: +81-44-812-7230   Fax: +81-44-812-7231
E-mail: murata@apsdc.ksp.fujixerox.co.jp