Re: I-D for a YANG data model to configure HTTP clients and servers

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 5:00 PM Kent Watsen <kent+ietf@watsen.net> wrote:

> Hi Ben.
>
> Thanks for CC-ing netconf-chairs, as I’d forgotten to in my follow up...
>

> 2. Configuring an HTTP client to connect thru a Proxy
>>
>> I think that only once in my career, perhaps a couple decades ago, I had
>> to configure a client to connect thru a proxy.   With that in mind, I ask
>> this question as someone that really doesn’t know what the state of the art
>> is.
>>
>> My fuzzy-memory is that, connecting thru an HTTP proxy entailed
>> establishing an HTTP connection to a proxy, and that connection is most
>> likely, if not exclusively, on top of TLS (i.e., HTTPS) and mutually
>> authenticated.
>>

> What you're describing is usually called a "Secure Web Proxy”.
>

> Thanks for clarifying my terminology.
>

> It is a popular type of proxy but far from the only one.
>

> I don’t understand this comment, especially in context of the next comment…
>

> The client always  authenticates the server name (in the usual way with
> TLS), but servers might or might not require clients to authenticate, and
> might do so in many different ways.

This comment was in reference to a Secure Web Proxy.  When using a SOCKS5
proxy, in contrast, there is typically no use of TLS between client and
proxy (although there will still be end-to-end TLS if the proxied
connection is for HTTPS).

> Sounds exactly like what the current configuration model enables:
>
> - client MUST use HTTPS (not HTTP)
> - client MUST auth the secure web proxy's TLS cert
> - client MAY provide TLS-level client certificate
> - client MAY provide one-of-many HTTP client-auth schemes
>
> To be clear, any combination of TLS-level and/or HTTP-level client-auth
> (including none) is allowed.
>
> Sounds right?

Yes.