Re: Adoption of Prefer-Push as an experimental submission

Hey Evert,

On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 1:16 AM Evert Pot <me@evertpot.com> wrote:

> Dear working group,
>
> Some time ago, I submitted the following draft:
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-pot-prefer-push
>
> The document describes a means for a HTTP client to indicate a list of
> linked resources they might want to receive via HTTP2 Push, through
> their relation type.
>
> I was curious if there is a chance that the HTTP working group might
> want to adopt this document as an experimental specification
>
> We have deployed systems with this feature and some success. A public
> client implementation can also be found here:
>
> https://github.com/badgateway/ketting
>
> Regards,
> Evert

Reading the draft again, for someone not super familiar with the problem
area it doesn't leap of the page to me how this really benefits the use
cases. However, you've reminded me of Asbjørn Ulsberg's presentation at the
HTTP Workshop 2019 [1] that gave a good overview of things. There was some
chatter in the room and Daniel's notes [2] indicate there some alternative
suggestions made but I can't recall what they were.

Any specification that uses a client signal to inform a server of what to
push has a resemblence to Cache Digests, which has a sad fate [3]. Note too
that it had an intended status of experimental. Therefore, IMO, it is due
diligence to compare prefer-push to cache digests and understand how it
differs both technically and in terms of implementation interest.

Cheers
Lucas

[1] https://asbjornu.github.io/prefer-push-presentation/
[2] https://daniel.haxx.se/blog/2019/04/04/more-amsterdamned-workshop/