Re: agenda/charter brainstorming

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 1:43 AM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> here are some ideas for what the WG could/should work on in the
> post-HTTP2-LC time:
>
> [snip]
>
> 3) New stuff
> [snip]
> - Another thing that comes up again and again is GET vs POST, and why there
> isn't a generic safe retrieval operation that takes a request body (describe
> the problem, document pros and cons, define an experimental new method?)

+0.5 ... I'm not entirely convinced yet that this is necessary but I
have seen the use case crop up fairly often, particularly in API
discussions. A Payload-bearing GET (PGET?) would, at the very least,
make for a worthwhile experiment, if only to prove or disprove it's
utility. I'm certainly willing to help write something up.

> - Header field syntax is something people continue to struggle with; maybe
> define how to use JSON in header fields to make things easier for new header
> field definitions

+1 ... but I would frame the problem differently: Existing header
syntax is inefficient, inconsistent and incomplete at best. We need
efficient binary encodings, UTF-8 support and reliable extensibility.
Introducing JSON-based headers would be a mistake. Again, I'm willing
to continue the previous work I did around BOHE and help write this
up.

> 4) Session handling (or "avoiding cookies")
>
> ...in case we find people, energy, and implementer interest.

+1.

- James