Re: Connection:Keep-Alive and Proxies

Diwakar Shetty <Diwakar.Shetty@oracle.com> writes:

> An HTTP/1.0 client could send a "Keep-Alive" header to a HTTP/1.1
> proxy that did not understand "Connection" but might mistakenly
> forward it. If the downstream connection also maintained a
> "Keep-Alive" connection, the proxy in the middle would never receive
> the closing of the response
>
> My question, is why does it matter. The proxy will just relay
> whatever comes from actual server to client.

Not at all clear - I can see why you are confused.

I don't think that the case described above is actually one of the
problem cases (there are others).  If by the 'downstream' connection,
they mean the proxy-origin connection, then it isn't a problem case.
If the origin server honored the Keep-Alive it would send a
Content-Length header in the response, and thus the end would not be
ambiguous.